Friday, April 9, 2010

day ten - baaaaad coffee

ok..two things to note about this photo. One. Mario sitting by himself with a miserable expression on his face. he got punished for drinking out of something he found on the ground. priceless. aaaand two. the green cat billboard in the background. it's an ad for a disco. confused.


There are two things i realized (or re-realized) today...

One.
I was walking outside looking for the toddler group. I came around the corner of the building and i saw two things; the toddler group by the brick wall with a couple supervisors, and johnny (already with a broken arm) stuck in a stump a little ways off from the group. As soon as he started crying, one of the supervisors and I ran quickly to help him. I just realized that we hear so many cries every day. There are very few moments here at the Ark that are quiet. So many cries get unnoticed because we know that the child can deal with it, and we can't reward them for bad behaviour, etc. But there's a different sound to the cry of a child in pain. It's one that causes who ever is responsible for that child to drop what they're doing, run, and help them. I thought it was kind of crazy how quickly i connected this to the way God hears our cries. Of course he hears all of them, but he doesn't always rush to pick us up (although he's always by our side coaching us, encouraging us). He knows that when we pick ourselves up and suck it up, we grow stronger. However...when one of his children are truly in pain...he RUNS and picks us up. He holds us in his arms. He comforts us and sets us back on our feet.

Two.
When i got here, i don't really know what i was expecting. But i wasn't expecting to have to write down my hours on a piece of paper like a work schedule and treat it like a job. I never wanted it to be a job. But in some ways it seemed like that some days. However the past couple days i have been sick and i haven't been able to work with the babies and some shifts i had to miss altogether. Today I'm just getting back into it and I realized how much i actually want to do this. I love these kids more and more every day. I'm beginning to see their personalities, i'm learning their names, and each one of them is so unique and amazing. I feel like i have been suckered into North American culture in this way: When i HAVE to do something...i almost don't want to do it. The desire and passion to do it fades away because it's expected of me and i'll get in trouble if i don't do it. But the day I'm not allowed to do it...it's the only thing i want to do. I never thought i would say this...but thank the Lord for letting me get sick? I say it with a question mark because I despise being sick.

Today the three of us girls went to town and bought ingredients to make granola bars...i'm pretty excited to make them. Oh ya...and they wanted to get pizza somewhere and i ordered a coffee. NO word of a lie, it was the worst cup of coffee i have ever had in my life. And i'm not that picky either. It's really hard to find coffee here that isn't instant. It's really sad because such good coffee grows here! But ya, even in a nice restaurant, he brought me a hot cup of milk, and instant coffee on the side. I couldn't even drink it. I actually had to document this because i don't think i'll ever have a worse cup of coffee.

These two are hilarious. The one on the left is Filipe and the one on the right is Jose Luis but everyone calls him Suco because he has whiter skin


Daniella

No comments:

Post a Comment